Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

I finally read it. I know it’s completely uncool that it took me so long. I have to say I really enjoyed it. Even as the plot and the day got increasingly more improbable, I was in it hook, line and sinker. And as an ex-Catholic and feminist, I found the questions and concepts it plumbs very satisfying. I just wonder if its popularity at all means anyone else is questioning the patriarchy that is promulgated in our religions, politics and culture. But it’s dumb of me to think a pulp novel can change anyone’s mind about anything. I think Jon Stewart said it best: “Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.”

1 comment:

jenclair said...

Read it before the hoopla...and enjoyed it. Had read Dan Brown before and am not much impressed with his writing, but I've always been interested in the Knights Templar, codes, secret societies, old manuscripts, and Leonardo -- and don't require much in a fun read. And then the publicity began...